Friday, June 8, 2012

How to get old debts off your Credit Report!

     I am writing this to make it more knowledgeable to those who have no clue about their Credit Reports. Did you know that in many states there is a limit to how long a debt can be placed on your report? Well there is. I live in a state that says the debts can only be on your report for 6 years, after that they need to be removed. However many companies that hold your debt, won't remove them..... In fact they rather not as long as they are on there then your credit report will show the results and therefore continue to give you bad credit. These companies hope that this will help collect the debt, for your credit will be negative and you will have a hard time buying or using your credit to better yourselves.
      I have done research up on research about this, and it has helped me. I want to share this with everyone in hopes to get these companies to rethink what they are doing. Companies know that theses laws are out there, they also know they have to abide by the law... however if no one asks then how will anyone who counts know to do anything about it, if they don't remove it. On another note, if the debtors do not know about the laws or so called rules, and just let it happen the companies can get away with it more and more. So in a way I am doing a public awareness, and notice to help you help yourself.
      With out further a do, I will tell you first, get a copy of your Credit Report, (not score) then look to see what is on this credit report, if the debt is questionable then you need to dispute it first and foremost. You can do this several ways one while looking at your report there usually is a dispute button near or next to the debt, depending on what internet company you are searching the report through, if not there should be directions on the website to tell you how to do so. Then print out a copy of your report, You can go to these Credit Report online sites, some of them are free and some of them charge a little fee. (Make sure you get a copy of your report from all 3 bureaus AKA -TransUnion, Experian, Equifax)

Free Credit Reports sites:
True Credit

Free Credit Report
Annual Credit Report

      There are many free credit report sites out there and your free to look at them with out it hurting your report or score. Once you have printed out your report, and have disputed some of your reporting debts if they are indeed worthy of disputing. Do not easily think you are done after disputing the few you have, now here is the thing just because you disput it on the website doesn't mean they will listen, now what you need to do is this.

       Look at all the dates when the debt had been placed on your credit report, if the dates are longer then at least six years old chances are they are to old to be able to be validated... you need to write the collection companies to validate the debt, do not admit you owe the debt but also do not, not admit  you owe the debt if that makes sense. Chances are the debt is so old that they will not be able to validate the debt and will have to remove it. However in this off chance that they can not validate it, then you have to wait 30 days after asking them to validate it and then send them a request to remove the debt from your credit report. Also even if they validate it, there is also a chance it can be a zombie debt... yes I said it, a zombie debt and in this case you may be able to get it removed still..., so here is how to do the validation and the zombie debt letters and further help on the Credit Report clearing. This resource I found and is very helpful. It is where I got my info and I want to share it with everyone...

Credit Report Help:

Statute of limitations on debts:
Statute of limitations on debts

Debt Validation:
Debt Validation

Sample Letter of a Zombie Debt:
Sample Letter

Now that I have supplied some information here for you I hope more and more people out there will be more knowledgeable about their credit. If you know someone that needs help lead them this way, or to the sites I have shared with you... More accurate info is on the sites I have supplied, I hope I have helped someone out there in any event!
Thank you!



2 comments:

  1. An impressive share! I've just forwarded this onto a friend who had been doing a little homework on this. And he in fact ordered me breakfast due to the fact that I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending some time to discuss this issue here on your web page.
    Look at my web site - credit repair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your very welcome, helping people like myself and others is what this blog was created for. I am glad that you found it helpful, and got a Meal out of it!

    ReplyDelete